I was kickboxing at my husband's gym and the day previous I had done a lot of squats with weights. My legs were a little weak from that. I also hadn't done any stretching like I usually do (I swear I'm much smarter...it was just one of those days)
I was doing a couple of rounds of kickboxing and then Ramsey taught me a new move. It was a shasay (sp?) step and then a side kick. As you may know, I'm pigeon footed. Was born with my hip turned in a little. Anyway, with my weak thighs and my pigeon foot, I managed to fall and instead of falling on my butt like I should have done, I placed all my weight on my knees while still up. This caused my knees to go sideways which popped out my knee cap to the side of my leg. I fell and started screaming. More out of shock really then anything. I asked Ramsey's business partner to pop it into place. He was really nervous and hesitated until I started cussing for him to do it. (Oops...I was in the moment). Anyway, he pops it into place and I felt much better. Still had pain and got some leftover painkillers from his girlfriend.
Ramsey carried me all the way to a taxi and then all the way to my apartment. Couldn't move and inch. Just put ice on it, you know, applied the RICE method. I couldn't get out of bed for two days other than to use the porcelain facilities. Well, after two days, I thought I could manage a trip to the hospital. Got a friend from Church to take me there. Got crutches and knee brace from another friend from Church. The doctor looked at it and knew something was wrong with my ligaments. I think he could tell when he touched a sensitive part and I screeched like a wood owl.
Then he had me schedule an appt for a MRI. Came back a week later and found out the result of my MRI. I had indeed torn a tendon/ligament whatever you call it. The doctor said I could do surgery to repair it so my kneecap doesn't pop out again, or I could see if the scar tissue would heal it over and take a chance, but he said most people's will pop out again and then I may opt do have my surgery after the 2nd or 3rd time it does.
Surgery? H*** no. Lol. What a hilarious thought!
Moving on.
The doctors are very traditional. I should not bend my knee for two months or something ridiculous. Thankfully I have a joint and bone specialist, Dr. Pao, in my Church. He told me that I could indeed bend it but not all the way, and that I better do some physical therapy otherwise my muscle would start to atrophy. He showed me a couple of exercises I could do. Unfortunately, I had already at this point done nothing for 3 weeks and who knew muscle could leave your body so fast!!? Ramsey and I were both shocked. I looked like I had a starving Ethiopian leg. Like one leg was half the size of the other. And the other, because it did all the work of climbing stairs etc.., got a beautiful toned look. Seriously, that leg never looked that good in my life! It's like a rock now. While my other leg has a jello-y feel to it.
Well Dr. Pao said I shouldn't exercise for two months, but I could do leg lifts etc...
So it's been two months, and I'm finally back at the gym. I can't run yet but I speed walk. Stairs are still a problem. I have finally been able to go up but not down. I've been doing some step aerobics. Taking it very easy.
You can imagine. It's so frustrating. For a girl that loves working out all things pertaining to fitness (This love only started a year ago...so my love is still fresh and not jaded) you can imagine how difficult it is to sit on one's arse all day. It's just terrible! I don't know how I did it but I didn't gain any weight the two months I was out. (My biggest concern: I would turn into a blob, stuffing my face with food to feel better.)
Why didn't I tell my parents? Well, they are raising 6 grandchildren and have a lot on their plate. Why make them worry about another thing? Especially when I have it under control. What's the point of keeping them up at night worrying? So I can gain sympathy? My poor parents can't afford another wrinkle or gray hair that life has caused them.
Well, that's my story. Nice to get it off my chest.
There is a Chinese expression that any knee injury needs 100 days of rest. Nice in theory, but I can't let this poor leg atrophy more than it already has. Heading out to the gym....gotta get this leg strong and all muscle-y so this doesn't happen again!
Blog entry from one of my students (from her English blog)
"I'm a sophomore in college now. We have two foreigner teachers who teach us English.They are man and wife. The man, Mr Dewey is handsome and the wife Mrs Dewey is beautiful. We all like them, not only their appearance, but also their attitude to work and the personalities they possess.
From their classes, we can obviously felt that how careful preparation they have made. In addition, their exaggerated and emotive expressions like most of western foreigners, bright and clear laughter, and their love of Chinese culture, all of these closed the distance between the people who ever lived with different culture.
Which impressed me most and touched me deeply is that Mrs Dewey had been wound her knee a few days ago and she still insist on coming for our class on crutches. Before her class, we have had heard a little about that, we all thought maybe she would not coming, so when I saw a beautiful figure with crutches come into our view, my heart moved. I think most of my classmates just felt like me, even without a word.
Hoping Mrs Dewey recover soon, Mr and Mrs Dewey, best wishes for you, love you."

Well, you could have told your sista!! I could have got some temple prayer roll action going. How are you recovering?
ReplyDelete