Thursday, July 23, 2009

Which Is A Better Choice?



Chocolate Bar vs. Hot Cocoa
Best Bet: Cocoa

Hot chocolate made with nonfat milk and a tablespoon of sugar has 154 calories and 2 grams of fat per cup, saving you about 80 calories and 11 grams of (mostly saturated) fat compared with a milk chocolate bar -- and it's more satisfying, says Dr. Kulze. The heat forces you to sip slowly, so your brain has time to register the treat. Plus, drinking a milk-based beverage helps you eat less at your next meal, says Barbara Rolls, PhD, a professor of nutritional science at Pennsylvania State University.

Brownie vs. Chocolate Cake
Best Bet: Cake

Even when frosted, a slice of chocolate cake has about half the calories of a large brownie (235 versus 454). If the brownie has nuts, its calorie count jumps to 519.

Pancakes vs. French Toast
Best Bet: Pancakes

Enjoy Sunday brunch guilt-free: Three pancakes have 259 calories compared with 447 in three slices of French toast. Top either with a tablespoon of butter and a quarter cup of syrup and you add 310 calories. Try thawed frozen unsweetened fruit instead; it has a syrupy consistency but just 19 calories in a quarter cup.


Cheesecake vs. Creme Brulee
Best Bet: Cheesecake

While the two desserts have a similar creamy texture and vanilla flavor, a typical serving of creme brulee has 368 calories and 18 grams of fat compared with 182 calories and 13 fat grams in a two-ounce slice of cheesecake. If you're served a New York-style (read: huge) hunk, share with a friend. And skip the gloppy toppings: a quarter cup of strawberries in heavy syrup tacks on almost 60 calories. At 13 calories, fresh berries are the way to go.

I stole some of these examples from fitnessmagazine.com. Check out their website to see more. I love their articles!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the first one because I feel like it really applies to me. I don't like pancakes, french toast, cakes, brownies, creme brulee, although I love cheesecake. Too bad it's too hot to drink hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete